Computer Architecture I
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 28,0 T + 42,0 PL + 5,0 OT + 5,0 O
A pass in the modules: Introduction to Programming, Digital Systems, Introduction to Technology and Object-Oriented Programming.
- Understand the general principles of computer architecture, its internal organisation and the impact of the several components in the operating performance.
- Describe the various levels of memory and data transfer modes;
- Develop routines in assembly.
- Basics of computer architecture
- CPU structure (data processing units; control units; implementation modes; performance analysis)
- Memory organisation (technologies; hierarchy; cache)
- Organization of interfaces and peripherals (types, characteristics; interfaces).
-Written test (10/20)
- Written test (2/20)
- Tests in class(4/20)
- Practical assignments (4/20)
A minimum of 30% in each assessment component is required to pass.
- Carpinelly, J. (2001). Computer Systems - Organization & Architecture. Portugal: Prentice Hall - Pearson Education International
- Brey, B. (2003). The Intel Microprocessors. Portugal: Prentice Hall - Pearson Education International
- Stallings, W. (2003). Computer Organization and Architecture. Portugal: Prentice Hall
- Monteiro, R. (2004). Tecnologia dos Equipamentos Informáticos. Portugal: FCA
Method of interaction
Lectures and laboratory classes
Software used in class