Electrical Materials and Power Conversion (Major in Energy)
Electronics and Computer Engineering
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 28,0 T + 42,0 PL + 5,0 OT
- José Filipe Correia Fernandes
Understanding the electric and magnetic properties of the main materials applied in electrical engineering;
Understanding the basics of energy conversion and its application in transducers and in electrical machines.
Studying the steady state operating mode of DC machines and transformers.
The principle of energy conversion to produce force or torque.
Fundamentals of DC Machines and windings.
Characteristic curves, losses and efficiency of DC motors. Starting and speed control methods of DC motors. Universal motors
working in DC and AC. Fundamentals and
circuit model of transformers. Internal voltage drop, losses and efficiency in loaded
transformers and taps. Parallel of transformers.
Final mark= 3/4 Mark of a written exam + 1/4 Average mark of laboratory experiences
- Nasar, S. (1997). Electric machines & Electromechanics. (Vol. 1). .UK: McGraw-Hill Education
- Umans, S. e Fitzerald, A. (2013). Máquinas Eléctricas. (Vol. 1ª). .UK: McGraw-Hill
- Fernandes, J. (0). Acetatos de Materiais e Conversão de Energia. Acedido em 25 de fevereiro de 2016 em http://www.e-learning.ipt.pt/course/view.php?id=463&topic=0#section-13
- Fernandes, J. (0). Sebenta de Máquinas Elétricas. Acedido em 25 de fevereiro de 2016 em http://www.e-learning.ipt.pt/course/view.php?id=463&topic=0#section-13
Method of interaction
Lectures, tutorials and laboratory classes including problem solving, laboratorial demonstrations and experiments.
Software used in class