Gaseous Effluent Treatment Systems
Environmental and Biological Engineering
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
The students should be able to determine the right technology and size of an equipment for the removal of pollutants from gaseous effluents originating from a given industrial process as well as establish its operating conditions and predict its performance.
1. Origin of the main atmospheric pollutants and key related environmental problems.
2. Composition and characterisation of a gaseous effluent.
3. Applicable legislation.
4. Analysis and dimensioning
6. Electrostatic precipitators
7. Dry filtration
8. Humid washers
9. Gas-liquid adsorption
Option 1: Continuous assessment - 3 mini-tests.
Option 2: Final exam and extra exam at the end of the semester. A minimum mark of 9.5 over 20 is required to pass.
- Perry, R. (1999). Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook. New York: McGraw Hill
- Wang, L. (2004). Handbook of Environmental Engineering Vol.1 - Air Pollution Control Engineering. Totowa, New Jersey, USA: Humana Press
Method of interaction
Theoretical and practical classes including design exercises.
Software used in class