Engenharia Enzimática (Opção)
Engenharia do Ambiente e Biológica
5.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 P
Concepts of organic Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Studentes should acquire skills in the areas of enzymology, enzyme kinetics, immobilization of biocatalysts and mass transfer in biological systems, which enable the development and application of techniques for design and operation of reactors involving enzymes.
The course?s aims are the study and development of skills in the areas of: (a) enzymology, immobilisation of biocatalysts and mass transfer applied to multiphasic systems with immobilised enzymes, global enzymatic kinetics; (b) design and operation of reactors, ideal and non-ideal, involving biocatalysts. Therefore, it provides the students with a solid formation on enzyme engineering.
After completing this course the students should be able to:
(a) choose the appropriate enzyme and its adequate form for a specific application and, if necessary, select immobilization method;
(b) design the most appropriate enzymatic reactor for the production of a certain bioproduct on an industrial scale;
(c) understand the relevance of the enzyme engineering, its industrial and analytic applications and utilization on effluents? treatment.
1. Introduction to enzymatic engineering. Structure and function of enzymes, classification and nomenclature. Large-scale production. Mechanisms of enzyme catalysis. Enzyme kinetics, single-substrate mechanisms, multi-substrate reactions, inhibition, stability and deactivation.
2. Protein Engineering.
3. Immobilisation of biocatalysts. Immobilisation methods. Kinetics in immobilised enzyme systems: steric, conformational and partition effects and external and internal mass transfer effects.
4. Biocatalysis in non-conventional media. Biocatalysis in organic media: Solvent selection; solvent effect on enzyme activity.
5. Design of ideal, and non-ideal, enzyme immobilised reactors. Mass transfer effects and enzyme deactivation. Analysis of bioreactors performance.
6. Industrial, analytical and biomedical applications of free and immobilised enzymes.
Final written test (60%), preparation and
presentation of a practical assignment (15%)and laboratory reports(25%).
Minimum pass mark: 10/20 in each assessment component
- Cabral, J. e Aires Barros, M. e Gama, M. (2003). Engenharia Enzimática. Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Shuler, M. e Kargi, F. (2001). Bioprocess Engineering ? Basic Concepts. London: Pearson Educatión
- Mota, M. e LIma, N. (2003). Biotecnologia ? Fundamentos e Aplicações. Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Mateus, D. (0). Sebentas de Engenharia Enzimática.Acedido em1 de setembro de 2014 em www. e-learning.ipt.pt
Method of interaction
Lectures. Laboratory sessions focused on solving practical exercises and performing laboratory activities.
Software used in class