Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 8644/2020 - 08/09/2020
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 28,0 PL + 28,0 TP , Cód. 911936.
(1) Docente Responsável
(2) Docente que lecciona
1. Describe the most relevant concepts of computer architecture;
2. Describe in a quantitative way the connection between hardware and programmed functional levels;
3. Describe the different components of a computer and its functionalities;
4. Programming routines in assembly language for the interrelationship between processor, memory and peripherals;
5. Specify and configure hardware systems at the hardware level.
1. Architecture of a computer:
a) Models of Von Neumann and de Havard;
b) Evolution of the architecture of computing systems and technologies.
c) Structure of the MIPS and IA32 processors.
d) Basic instruction processing cycle.
2. Instruction set architecture.
3. Assembly language programming (processor and peripherals):
a) X86, MIPS architecture.
4. Computational arithmetic:
a) Numbers and floating point representation
b) Programming the arithmetic coprocessor
a) Organization and operation of the CPU (datapath and control logic)
b) Parallel execution using Pipelining
6. Organization of Memory:
a) Management mechanisms and hierarchies.
7. Data Entry and Output Systems.
a) Parallel processors (from client to cloud)
Closed book Exam (50%). At least 6 in 20.
Practical exam in the practical laboratory or theoretical practical classes (20%). At least 10 in 20.
Project in group with public discussion (30%). At least 10 in 20.
- Brey, B. (2003). The Intel Microprocessors. Portugal: Prentice Hall - Pearson Education International
- Carpinelly, J. (2001). Computer Systems - Organization & Architecture. Portugal: Prentice Hall - Pearson Education International
- Monteiro, R. (2004). Tecnologia dos Equipamentos Informáticos. Portugal: FCA
- Stallings, W. (2003). Computer Organization and Architecture. Portugal: Prentice Hall
- theoretical classes for presentation, presentation and exemplification;
- laboratory practice (development and completion of practical work in a computer lab).
Software used in class
Microsoft Macro Assembler (MASM), DOSBox, EMU8086