Chemical Processes (Option)
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
5.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
Basic knowledge of chemical thermodynamics and stoichiometry calculations, and full use of mass and energy computations.
Students should be able to perform advanced material and energy balances in complex processes, solve mass balances in multiphasic and staged operations, and use adequate methods to measure and analyse thermophysical and thermochemical properties, use computer tools to calculate mass-energy balances.
1. Termophysical and thermochemical previsiom methods: Methods available for properties prevision; Phase change enthalpy prevision; Heat capacity prevision; Reaction enthalpy prevision;
2. Mass balances in multiphasic operations: Calculation methods for staged operations; Solid-liquid extraction: solids washing and leaching; Liquid-liquid extraction ( imiscible and partially miscible systems).
3. Energy balances in processes with mixture and solution: Mixing and mixture enthalpy; Use of datatables and ghaphic representations; Energy balances solving procedures.
4. Computer design and calculation of energy and mass balances: Spreadsheet examples; Models and use of generic software; Principles of simulation software.
Written open-book examination (75%). A practical assignment including public presentation (25%), requiring a minimum mark of 9/20 in each assessment component.
- Harriot, P. e Smith, J. e McCabe, W. (2005). Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering. .: McGraw-Hill
- Himmelblau, D. (1996). Basic Principles and Calculations in Chemical Engineering. London: Prentice-Hall
- Rousseau, R. e Felder, R. (2000). Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes. New York: Wiley
- Pinho, H. Teaching material.Acedido em0 de --- de 0 em www.estt.ipt.****
Method of interaction
Lectures involving theory presentation. Practical classes involving exercise solving and discussion.
Software used in class