Instrumentation and Control
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
- Isabel Maria Duarte Pinheiro Nogueira
Provide such concepts as. automatic control of the variables of a chemical engineering process, variable control dial, sensors and actuators properties, the various types od controllers specially PID and process and layout diagrams of an industrial plant.
I. PROCESS CONTROL:
1. Industrial Process;
3. Actuators (Final Control Elements);
5. Process Diagrams and Layout of an industrial premise;
II. MEASUREMENT INSTRUMENTATION:
1. Pressure Sensors;
2. Level Sensors;
3. Temperature Sensors;
Written closed-book assessment (first or second assessment season) with a minimum
pass mark of 9.5 (out of 20).
- Johnson, C. (1990). Controlo de Processos - Tecnologia da Instrumentação. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Da Silva, G. (2004). Instrumentação Industrial. Setubal: IPS-EST
- Seborg, D. e Edgar, T. e Mellichamp, D. (2003). Process Dynamics and Control. New York: J. Wiley & Sons
- Stephanopoulos, G. (1984). Chemical Process Control - An Introduction to Theory and Practice. New York: Prentice-Hall Inc.
Method of interaction
Lectures introduce the topics of study and present theoretical fundamentals. Theoretical-practical sessions are intended to further develop the theoretical concepts with the support of real cases and exercise-solving as well as field trips.
Software used in class