Chemical Reactors I
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
4.5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 22,50 T + 30,0 TP
- José Manuel Quelhas Antunes
Develop skills in studies of chemical kinetics and in the analysis and design of ideal chemical reactors through mass and energy balances.
1.1. Chemical reaction engineering and reactor design.
1.2 Ideal Homogeneous Reactors: classification, characterization and selection of chemical reactors.
1.3 Balances concept: matter, energy, global, macroscopic and microscopic.
2 Chemical Reaction
2.1 Quantitative parameters for chemical reaction evolution.
2.2 Chemical kinetics notions. Methods of experimental determination of the chemical reaction kinetics.
3 Matter balances in ideal reactors.
3.1. Batch reactors. Retention time and stoppage time.
3.2 Continuous stirred reactors. Series of continuous stirred reactors.
3.3. Tubular reactors. tubalar reactors with recycle.
3.4 Sequential continuous reactors
A written test during the regular examination period, reports of laboratorial work and some homeworks.
- Ribeiro, F. e Lopes, J. e Lemos, F. (2002). Reactores QuÃmicos. Lisboa: IST Press
- Bischoff, K. e Froment, G. (2010). Chemical Reactor Analysis and Design. New York: John Wiley & Sons
- Levenspiel, O. (1999). Chemical Reaction Engineering. New York: John Wiley
- Fogler, H. (1986). Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall
Method of interaction
Lectures, tutorials and some laboratorial work.
Software used in class