Applied Numerical Methods
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
4.5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 22,30 T + 30,0 TP
- Luís Miguel Merca Fernandes
a)Students should be provided with basic and more advanced knowledge of mathematical methods used in different chemistry engineering problems.
b)They should be able to apply appropriate numerical methods to solve differential and integral equations.
1. Iterative Methods for Linear Systems of Equations;
2. Numerical Methods for Systems of Nonlinear Equations and Nonlinear Equations;
3. Polynomial Interpolation;
4. Numerical Defferentiation and Integration;
5. Numerical methods for ordinary differential equations.
Continuous assessment: two written tests.
Exam assessment: one written test.
- Heath, M. (2001). Scientific Computing: an Introductory Survey. .: McGraw-Hill
- Faires, J. e Burden, R. (1993). Numerical Analysis. .: PWS Publishing Company
- Pina, H. (1995). Métodos Numéricos. .: McGraw-Hill
- Patrício, J. (0). Apontamentos de MNA.Acedido em1 de julho de 2012 em e-learning.ipt.pt
Method of interaction
Theoretical lectures, with presentation and illustration of the proposed subjects. Theoretical-practical lectures in which exercises are proposed and solved.
Software used in class