Documentary Film Studies
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 PL + 15,0 TP + 3,0 OT
- João Pedro Freire Fonseca da Luz
1. To understand the cinema as an artistic expression, industry and thought;
2. To identify strategies and filmic construction methods by analyzing the filmography of several authors and historical periods;
3. To comprehend the filmic construction process in each of its phases.
a. Definition of a translatable concept for cinematic images;
b. Preparation of rhetoric tools: notice of intent and synopsis;
c. Recording a plan representing a concept or theme;
d. Planning a scene writing the contents of the various plans according to the concept or theme;
e. Recording and editing of a previously planned scene;
f. Recording and editing a sequence composed of three scenes.
Attendence ? 10%
Participation ? 10%
Exercize#1 ? 20%
Exercize#2 ? 20%
Exercize#3 ? 20%
Exercize#4 ? 20%
Presentation of all exercizes until the frequency, the exam or the improvement dates.
- Nichols, B. (2001). Introduction to Documentary. Bloomington: Indiana University Press
- Katz, S. (1991). Film Directing Shot by Shot. Stoneham: Michael Wise Productions
Method of interaction
1. Viewing and analysis of documentary films;
2. Reading, analysis and discussion of texts listed in the bibliography;
3. Presentation and discussion of personal views;
4. Monitoring, discussion and correction of exercises under production.
Software used in class