Camera and Lighting
Documentary Film Studies, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho n.º 13021/2015
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 T + 45,0 PL + 3,0 OT
a.Rediscover the screenplay from the perspective of Photography
b.Master camera and lighting techniques
c. Master work procedures
d.Understand the photographic image
e. Develop teamwork
f.Develop skills in capturing motion pictures
g. Foster research
1. The history of lighting in the cinema.
2. Lighting equipment.
3. The work of the Cinematographer.
4. The purpose of lighting. Processes.
5. Colour theory and control. Filters.
7. Photometry and Sensitometry.
9. Colour corrections and grading.
a) Attendance - 20%
b) 3 exercises:
Exercise 1 - 15% - interview lighting and recording
Exercise 2 - 15% - action lighting and recording
Exercise 3 - 15% - performance lighting and recording
c) Short end-of-term documentary - 35%
- Alton, J. (1996). Painting with light. California: University of California Press
- Burum, S. (2011). Selected Tables, Charts and Formulas for the Student Cinematographer from the American Cinematographer Manual. California: ASC Holding Corp
- Jackman, J. (2002). Lighting for Digital Video & Television. Oxford: Focal Press
- Storaro, V. (2004). Writing With Light Trilogy. New York: Aperture
Method of interaction
a.Traditional face-to-face lectures.
b.In-studio practical lessons.
c.Practical field classes.
Software used in class