Operating Systems II
Information and Communication Technologies
5.5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 PL + 30,0 TP
The students will familiarise themselves with the use of Windows 2003/08 Server operating systems and Linux as a means for providing and managing services and resources on a data network.
1. Introduction to Network Operating Systems;
2. Communication and resource sharing: network protocols; addresses; key problems; monitoring;
3. Routing: conceps; static routing; RIP; OSPF;
4. DHCP: concepts; configuration; maintenance;
5. DNS: concepts; configuration; maintenance;
6. Data security: firewall; NAT; VPN; SSL; IPSec;
7. Directory services: concepts; AAA; LDAP; RADIUS;
- Theoretical assessment - 40%, with a minimum mark of 8/20.
- Practical assessment - 40%, with a minimum mark of 10/20. Average of the lab assignments, each with a minimum grade of 8/20.
- Continuous assessment - 20%
- Pereira, F. e Guerreiro, R. Linux - Curso Completo. : FCA
- Rosa, A. Windows Server 2008 - Curso Completo. : FCA
Method of interaction
Lectures and tutorials supported by case study analysis and problem solving.
Software used in class