Computer Networks II
Information and Communication Technologies
5.5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 PL + 30,0 TP
This course is intended to enhance the degree of familiarity with key technologies and protocols of local networks, gaining skills in analysis, design, maintenance and optimisation of small size networks.
1. Concept review;
2. Signal transmission;
3. Data transmission; Synchronous and asynchronous transmission; Communication interfaces; Flow control; HDLC protocol; Data multiplexing;
4. Local Area Networks; LLC Sub-layer; MAC Sub-layer; Bridges; High-speed LANs; wireless LANs;
5. Internetworking; TCP/IP; Routers; IGP and EGP Protocols; Transport protocols;
6. Network Design
- Theoretical assessment - 40%, with a minimum mark of 8/20.
- Practical assessment - 40%, with a minimum mark of 10/20. Average of the lab assignments, each with a minimum grade of 8/20.
- Continuous assessment - 20%
- Wetherall, D. e Tanenbaum, A. (2010). Computer Networks. : Prentice Hall
- Ross, K. e Kurose, J. (2012). Computer Networking: A top down approach. : Pearson
- Gouveia, J. (2013). Redes de Computadores - Curso Completo. : FCA
- Stallings, W. (2013). Data and Computer Comunications. : Prentice Hall
Method of interaction
Lectures and Tutorials supported by case study analysis and problem solving.
Software used in class