Ethics and Communication Law
Media Studies, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho n.º 15198/2014
4.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
In Ethics module, to frame and analyse cross thematics concerning the practices of Journalism and Corporate Communication.
In Law module, recognize and make a legal analysis of the Social Communication legal problems and the applicable law.
Ethics and Deontology
1.Notions of Ethics and Theoretical Contextualization (3TP)
2.Ethics' Codes, Deontological Codes and Regulation, Style Books, Ombudsman and Self-Regulation (3TP)
3. Ethics and Social Responsibility in Media and in Corporate Communications (3TP)
4.Ethics and Professional Rules in Journalism
5.Ethics in Broadcst Media (3TP)
6.Ethics in Corporate Communication (3TP)
7.Ethics in Advertising (3TP)
8.Case studies (3TP)
9.Students' presentations of individual papers (6TP)
COMMUNICATION LAW SOURCES (2T)
1. The Portuguese Republic Constitution- Fundamental Principles and Rights
2. International Conventions
3. Community law
4. Portuguese Law
1. Freedom of expression and information
2. The Right TO Access Information Sources
3. Confidentiality Right
4. The independence guarantee
5. The right to participate
6. Freedom of expression and creation
6.1. General scheme of copyright
6.2. The copyright and the protection of journalistic works
FREEDOM TO ESTABLISH COMPANIES (2T)
1. The right to create newspapers
2. The right to create television and radio companies
INDEPENDENCE AND PLURALISM GUARANTEES (3T)
1. The fundamental principles
2. The radio and television service
LIMITS TO THE MEDIA FREEDOM (3T)
1. Offenses committed by the Media
1.1. Criminal responsibility
1.2. Civil liability and protection of personality rights
1.3. Contraordenacional responsability
1.4. Disciplinary liability
2. The right of reply and rectification
3. The limits to programming freedom
3.1. negative limitations
3.2. positive limitations
1. Concept and types of audiovisual commercial communication.
2. General principles of advertising.
2.1. Restrictions on the content and object.
3. Advertising on television and radio.
Ethics: Written test(80%) and individual project (20%)
Law: Two written tests (45%+45%) plus Part.(10%)
Minimum score on each module must be positive, resulting in the final grade average (66%+34%)
EXAMINATION AND APPEAL:
Written test (66%+34%)
(2012). Direito da Comunicação Social. Lisboa: Texto Editora
(2007). Direito da Comunicação Social - Lições. Coimbra: Almedina
- Camponez, C. (2011). Deontologia do Jornalismo. Coimbra: Almedina
- Faustino, P. (2007). Ética e responsabilidade social dos Média. Odivelas: Formal Press
- Martins, F. (2006). A geração da Ética. Coimbra: Minerva
- Wemans, J. (1999). O Público em público - as colunas do Provedor do Leitor. Coimbra: Minerva
- Patrão Neves, M. e Sampaio da Silva, R. (2017). Ética aplicada à Comunicação Social. Lisboa: Edições 70
Method of interaction
Content exposure with powerpoints presentation.
Analysis of academic articles.
Media content analysis.
Consultation and analysis of legislation.
Discussion about specific situations.
Software used in class