Discourse of the Media
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
- Hália Filipa da Costa Santos
Have some knowlege of existing journalistic genres and of the media in general.
Students are expected to get an overview of the functions and panorama of the different types of media identifying and analysing the main features and goals of respective discourses.
The importance of communication and media roles; Portuguese Media; Objectivity and neutrality; Different types of newspapers; the newspaper discourse; the radio discourse; the television discourse; the meaning of images; non-verbal communication; the advertising language; Media causes and discrimination within the Media.
Mid-term test (80%) and group research work (20%) with deliver (25/may/18) and presentation (two last days of classes). Minimum pass mark inall the elements:
10 grade points determined by taking the average.
Exam and Final Exam: 100%.
- Faustino, P. (2004). A Imprensa em Portugal. Lisboa: Media XXI
- Leanne, S. (2009). Falar como Obama. Alfragide: Lua de Mel
- Bell, A. e GarretT, P. (2003). Approaches to Media Discourse. London: Blackwell
- Rebelo, J. (2000). O discurso do Jornal. Lisboa: Ediotiral Notícias
Method of interaction
Lectures using PowerPoints, written material and audiovisual supports.
Software used in class