Media Studies, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho n.º 15198/2014
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 PL + 30,0 TP + 2,50 OT
- Carla Dias Marques da Cruz
1. The Audience Analysis UC aims to provide Social Communication students with the fundamental knowledge and skills for acquiring knowledge about audience analysis, framing this concept with related, but distinct ones (points 1.2 and 3).
2. This course aims to explain the importance of Audience Measurement and the systems used for different media, as well as the most used and important indicators such as reach, frequency (OTS) and Investments (GRP) (points 4 and 5) .
3. All these concepts are important for marketing, advertising and communication professionals who work daily in the market and who need to carry out media planning (point 6).
4. This UC aims to provide students with reports and yearbooks that allow them to get a sense of the national market and that can be a support tool in the professional future (point seven).
1. Theoretical framework
1.1. Audience Analysis Concept
1.2. Distinction between audience and audience analysis
1.3. Objectives of Audience Analysis
2. Other associated concepts
2.1. Public opinion
2.2. Public Space vs. media space
3.1. Audience types
3.2. Audience segmentation
4. Audience measurement
4.1. Television Hearings
4.2. Audiences in other media: Radio, Press, Outdoor Advertising
4.3. Audiences in the new digital media
5. Audience Measurement Indicators
5.1. Reach and Frequency - Opportunity to See (OTS)
5.2. Gross Rating Point (GRPs)
5.3. Other indicators
5.4. Cost indicators
6. Media Planning
6.1. Offline Strategies
6.2. Online Strategies
7. Analysis of information on the main audience sites
7.1. Analysis of studies and reports that publish the hearings of the main national media.
Assessment methodologies include group work (40%) to be delivered and presented and a frequency (55%). Small classroom work will be developed to reinforce participation and attendance (5%).
Exam consists of a written exam - 100%.
- McQuail, D. (1997). Audience Analysis. London: SAGE
- Lendrevie, J. e Dionísio, P. e Baynast, A. e Dionísio, P. e Rodrigues, J. (2010). Publicitor. Comunicação 360º Online Offline. . Lisboa: D. Quixote..
- Baynast, A. e Lendrevie, J. e Levi, J. e Dionísio, P. e Rodrigues, V. (2018). Mercator - 25 Anos - O Marketing na Era Digital. . Lisboa: D. Quixote
- Cardoso, G. (0). Anuário da Comunicação do OBERCOM. Acedido em 13 de fevereiro de 2019 em https://obercom.pt/anuario-da-comunicacao-2016-2017/
Method of interaction
The Curricular Unit will be taught through theoretical-practical expository classes that allow the presentation of concepts and works will be carried out that allow the consultation of reports and yearbooks and analysis of news related to audiences.
Software used in class