Discourse of the Media
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
- Hália Filipa da Costa Santos
Have some knowlege of existing journalistic genres and of the media in general.
Students are expected to get an overview of the functions and panorama of the different types of media identifying and analysing the main features and goals of respective discourses.
The importance of communication and media roles; Portuguese Media; Objectivity and neutrality; Different types of newspapers; the newspaper discourse; the radio discourse; the television discourse; the meaning of images; the advertising language; Media causes and discrimination within the Media.
Two written tests (50% each).
Minimum pass mark: 10 grade points determined by taking the average. The student needs to reach at least the classifications of 7/20 in the first test to be accepted in the second. If not, he/she will be admitted in exam.
Exam and Final Exam: 100%.
- Faustino, P. (2004). A Imprensa em Portugal. Lisboa: Media XXI
- Leanne, S. (2009). Falar como Obama. Alfragide: Lua de Mel
- Bell, A. e GarretT, P. (2003). Approaches to Media Discourse. London: Blackwell
- Rebelo, J. (2000). O discurso do Jornal. Lisboa: Ediotiral Notícias
Method of interaction
Lectures using PowerPoints, written material and audiovisual supports.
Software used in class