Ciência e Tecnologia dos Materiais
Mestrado em Tecnologia Quimica
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP
Be able to distinguish between different types of materials, the concepts of micro and macro structure, and industrial and technological applications.
They should also be familiar with material selection methods and the various deterioration processes: corrosion, fatigue and wear.
1. Introduction to materials science and engineering: What is materials science and engineering. Material Classes. Issues related with the production, application, competition and trends in the use of materials.
2. Chemical bond, structure and properties of materials: Chemical bonds in materials. Crystalline structures: Polymorphism. Solidification, crystalline defects and solid diffusion. Solid solutions and phase equilibrium. Mechanical, electrical, magnetic and optical properties of materials.
3. Classification of materials as applied to Engineering: METALLIC MATERIALS: Classification, processing, thermal treatments. Designation and classification of different types of steel and non-ferrous alloys. Noble and refractory metals. POLYMERIC MATERIALS: Polymerisation reactions. Thermoplastic processing. Elastomers. Plastic deformation and reinforcement. CERAMIC MATERIALS: Synthesis and processing. COMPOSITE MATERIALS: Types of matrices (metallic, ceramic and polymeric), types of reinforcements Structures (sandwich, laminar, fibrous and particle). NANOMATERIALS: Nanoparticles, nanofibres, nanotubes, nanocomposites. Structure and properties of carbon nanotubes.
4. Selection of Materials for Engineering Applications: Selection methods. Criteria.
5. Material Degradation: Chemical and electrochemical corrosion of materials. Types of corrosion. Corrosion control. Mechanical wear. Types of wear. Lubrication and prevention. Material fatigue. Mechanism. S-N curves. Prevention.
Short individual essay on a topic related with materials science and technology (30% of final mark). Written mid-term test or final exam with minimum pass grade of 10/20
(70% of final mark).
- Smith, W. (1998). Princípios de Ciência e Engenharia dos Materiais. Lisboa: Mc. Graw-Hill
- Callister, W. (2010). Materials Science and Engineering: an Introduction. New York: John Wiley & Sons
- Shackelford, J. e , . (2009). Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall
- Hummel, R. (2005). Understanding Materials Science. New York: Springer-Verlag
Method of interaction
Lectures designed to introduce the study topics and present theoretical fundamentals. Theoretical-practical sessions intended to further develop theoretical concepts. Field trips.
Software used in class