Mestrado em Tecnologia Quimica, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 9183/2020 - 25/09/2020
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 16,0 PL + 14,0 TP
Knowledge of biochemistry and cellular biology.
Develop skills in molecular biology techniques within industrial biotechnology. Understand and monitor analytical techniques and unit operations in industrial processes of biocatalysis and fermentation. Implement security rules in biotechnology.
The course?s aims are the study and development of skills in the areas of molecular biology, enzymology, biocatalysis, fermentation processes, as well as in the bioreactors design parameters, "scale up" principles and in the application of rules of health and safety in biotechnology.
After completing this course the students should be able to:
a) Apply the main methods of cloning and analysis of genes and their products within the recombinant DNA technology;
b) Use experimental techniques involving immobilized biocatalysts;
c)Understand and follow unit operations in industrial processes employing biocatalysts; understand and apply methodologies of design and operation of fermenters in industrial processes, as well as separation processes of cell biomass and purification of biological products.
1.Introduction to modern and traditional biotechnology. Microbial biotechnology. Applied biocatalysis. Safety and regulation in biotechnology.
2. Genetic Engineering: Cloning of genes, relevant enzymes for cloning; cloning vectors; typical examples of cloning; introduction of recombinant DNA into the host cell; selection of transformed cells; Instability of r-plasmids; Genomic banks, Super-expression, detection and purification of recombinant protein; Applications of genetic engineering.
3. Bioreactors - Fermenters: Microbial growth modeling; types of biological reactors, reactors for high cell density; separation processes for cell biomass; examples of fermentation processes.
4. Applied biocatalysis: Immobilization and behavior of biocatalysts; Kinetics of free and immobilized enzymes; Reactors for immobilized biocatalysts; Separation processes of biological products; examples of industrial processes involving biocatalysis
Applied exercises and case studies.
Laboratory works: ?Purification, concentration and quantification of genomic DNA from a strain of
Escherichia coli, restriction endonuclease digestion of the DNA obtained and agarose gel analysis of restrition
fragments?;?Demonstration of methods of immobilization of biocatalysts? / ?Determination of kinetic constants of free biocatalysts?; ?Conducting of a fermentation for bioethanol production? / ?Production of algal biomass for biofuels, learning objectives?.
Final written test (60%), presentation and discussion of a practical project work (15%) and lab reports (25%).
Minimum pass mark in all components: 10/20.
- Lima, N. e Mota, M. e , . (2003). Biotecnologia - Fundamentos e Aplicações. Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Videira, A. (2001). Engenharia Genética - Princípios e Aplicações (Princípios básicos - Cap I a VIII),. Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Kargi, F. e Shuler, M. (2001). Bioprocess Engineering - Basic Concepts. London: Pearson Educatión
- Doran, P. (2012). Bioprocess Engineering Principles. London: Academic Press
- Mateus, D. (0). Apontamentos das aulas teóricas, enunciados dos exercícios propostos. Protocolos laboratoriais. Acedido em 10 de setembro de 2019 em www.e-learning.ipt.pt
Method of interaction
Lectures and laboratory sessions. Theoretical-practical classes focused on the resolution of applied exercises and case studies.
Software used in class