Separation Processes in Biotechnology (Option)
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
5.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
- Henrique Joaquim de Oliveira Pinho
Knowledge of basic algebra, numerical methods and chemical thermodynamics.
Students should develop basic skills in the separation and purification of biological products: they should be able to propose the possible separation sequences, identify the main design parameters and master the "scale up" principles.
Introduction. Fundamentals concerning the processes of separation of biological products. Separation of cellular material. Cell rupture. Soluble product separation. Purification technics. Examples of industrial application.
Written test with a minimum mark of 9/20 (70% of final grade).
Team assignment with a minimum mark of 9/20 (30% of final grade).
Optional individual assignments up to 25% of the grade obtained in the written test.
- Forciniti, D. (2008). Industrial Bioseparations. : Blakwell
- Shules, M. (2013). Bioprocess Engineering Basic Concepts. .: Prentice-Hall
- Cabral, J. e Aires-Barros, M. (2003). Biosseparações in Biotecnologia - Fundamentos e Aplicações, N.Lima e M.Mota eds.. Lisboa: Lidel
- Petrides, D. e Rudge, S. e Todd, P. e Harrison, R. (2015). Bioseparations Science and Engineering. .: Oxford University Press
Method of interaction
Lectures and tutorials.
Software used in class