Processos de Separação II (Opção)
Engenharia Química e Bioquímica
5.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 P
Prior knowledge of fluid mechanics and mass and energy balances.
Students must be able to determine the basic equipment design parameters in particles/droplets separation processes from fluids (classification, centrifugation, sedimentation and filtration). They must be able to evaluate the hydrodynamic effects of the fluid flow through particle beds.
1. MECHANICAL ANALISIS OF A MOVING PARTICLE IN A FLUID
Terminal Velocity and Stokes law. Gravitational classification of solid particles.
2. FLOW AND SEPARATION OPERATIONS OF PARTICLES AND DROPLETS
2.1 - Centrifugation
2.2 - Sedimentation
2,3 - Fixed beds
2.4 - Fluidized beds
2.5 - Relationship between the different flow regimes of fluid-solid
2.6 - Filtration
Assessment includes written tests (continuous assessment or exams) and involves theoretical questions and practical questions involving the design of equipment.
- Foust, . (1982). Princípios das Operações Unitárias. Rio de Janeiro: LTC
- Perry, J. (2007). Chemical Engineers Handbook. New-York: McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Academic Press, . (2000). Encyclopedia of Separation Science. London: Academic Press
- McCabe, W. e Smith, J. e Harriott, P. (2001). Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering. Singapore: McGraw-Hill Book Company
Method of interaction
Description of mechanical equipments with the help of datashow resources. Presentation of theoretical concepts and exercise solving. Exercises are based on real-world cases.
Software used in class