Enzyme Engineering (Option)
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
5.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 P
- Dina Maria Ribeiro Mateus
Basic knowledge of Organic and Biochemistry.
Students should acquire skills in the areas of enzymology, enzyme kinetics, immobilization of biocatalysts and mass transfer in biological systems, which enable the development and application of techniques for the design and operation of reactors involving enzymes.
Structure and function of enzymes. Classification and nomenclature. Large-scale production. Enzyme kinetics, inhibition, stability and deactivation. Kinetics in immobilised enzyme systems. Biocatalysis in non-conventional media. Design of ideal, and non-ideal, enzyme immobilised reactors.
Bio-catalysis in non-conventional media. Medical and industrial
utilization of free and immobilised enzymes.
Final written test (60%), preparation and
presentation of a practical assignment (15%) and lab reports (25%). Minimum pass mark: 10 (out of 20)in every assessment component.
- Mota, M. e LIma, N. (2003). Biotecnologia - Fundamentos e Aplicações. Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Shuler, M. e Kargi, F. (2001). Bioprocess Engineering - Basic Concepts. London: Pearson Educatión
- Gama, M. e Aires Barros, M. e Cabral, J. (2003). Engenharia Enzimática. Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Mateus, D. (0). Sebentas de Engenharia Enzimática. Acedido em 1 de fevereiro de 2018 em www. e-learning.ipt.pt
Method of interaction
Theoretical lectures, tutorials, laboratory classes, case studies.
Software used in class