Economics and Management
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
4 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP
- Henrique Joaquim de Oliveira Pinho
Students are expected to acquire the fundamental concepts of economics and business administration, develop market analysis techniques applied to industrial processes and prepare investment projects.
1. Introduction: basic principles of economy; Microeconomics and macroeconomics fundamentals; Corporate structure and management concepts; 2. Management functions: sales and marketing management (Marketing; Market surveys; Marketing mix); Production and operations management; Material resources and stocks management; Human resources managenent; Financial planning; 3. Corporate planning: strategic management and strategic planning; 4. Design and economical evaluation of industrial plants: The project investment concept; Data required to perform the economical analysis of projects; Project evaluation and selection criteria; 5. Relationships between Engineering and Management: Innovation management and technological based organizations; Entrepreneurishp and business creation..
Ongoing assessment: Group work (30%)and written test(70%)
Exam assessment: written exam
Minimum of 9 marks (out of 20) in both components.
- Pinho, H. (2019). Material de apoio de EG. (Vol. 1). Tomar: IPT
- Neves, J. (2011). Introdução à Economia. Lisboa: Ed. Verbo ISBN: 9789722230568
- Sousa, A. (1999). Introdução à Gestão: Uma abordagem sistémica.. Lisboa: Ed. Verbo ISBN: 9789722213028
- Marques, A. (2014). Concepção e análise de projectos de investimento.. Lisboa: Ed. Sílabo ISBN: 9789726187813
Method of interaction
Theoretical-practical classes: course content presentation followed by open discussion on proposed case studies; problem solving.
Software used in class