Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 10764/2011 - 30/08/2011
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
Knowledge of differential and integral calculus.
Students should be able to: interpret the behaviour of thermal systems and solve practical problems; calculate insulation thickness; design heat transfer equipments; understand fundamental mass transfer concepts, namely those necessary for the design of mass transfer equipments.
This course unit?s purpose is the study and the development of competences about the mechanisms of heat and mass transport, which are the base, in industry, to the design and project of reactors and equipment for unitary operations in chemical and biochemical engineering.
The students should be able to:
(a) interpret the behavior of thermal systems; determine flow and temperature profiles in solids, in steady and unsteady-state; calculate insulation thickness; determine heat transfer rates in solid-fluid interphases, with convection and with radiation exchange; dimension heat exchangers.
(b) understand the concepts of mass transfer; determine flow and concentration profiles for simplified cases using Fick?s 1st law; determine mass transfer by diffusion rate in transient state; determine mass transfer by convection rate using the concept of mass transfer coefficient.
1. Thermal conductivity and the mechanisms of energy transport. .Fourier´s Law. Steady-state heat conduction. Composite walls. Extended surfaces. Unsteady-state heat conduction. Convective heat transfer. Natural and forced convection. Interphase transport, heat transfer coefficients. Heat-transfer equipment. Heat exchanger analysis ? use of the log mean temperature difference. Radiation heat transfer. Planck´s law of radiation. Stefan-Boltzman law. Wien's displacement law. Radiation exchange.
2. Mechanisms of mass transport. Fick?s first law, diffusivity. Steady-state molecular diffusion. Unsteady state diffusion molecular diffusion, Fick´s second law. Convective mass transfer. Interphase mass transport coefficients, Convective mass transfer correlations. Analogies between heat and mass transfer.
Preparation of a practical assignment (20%) and a final written test (80 %, with minimum mark of 10 out of 20 in each component.
- Mateus, D. (2009). Fundamentos de Transferência de calor. Tomar: IPT
- Welty, Wicks, Wilson, Rorrer., J. (2008). Fundamentals of Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Bird, Stewart, Lightfoot., R. (2002). Transport Phenomena. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Mateus, D. (0). Sebentas de Transferência de Massa. Acedido em 2 de fevereiro de 2019 em www.e-learning.ipt.pt
Method of interaction
During the theoretical lectures the main concepts are explained and exemplified. In coordination with the evolution of the lectures, the resolution and discussion of exercises and case studies by the students is proposed in the practical classes.
Software used in class
In the pratical assignment of design a heat exchanger are used and developed spreadsheets.