Probabilities and Statistics
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
4.5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
Background knowledge of Calculus and Algebra.
It is intended that students reach the curricular unit of Probability and Statistics learning the outcomes:
a) recover and consolidate knowledge of Probabilities;
b) acquire knowledge about random variables and about some theoretical distributions of Probability (discrete and continuous);
c) acquire knowledge and develop mathematical skills in the estimation (punctual and interval) and decision, as well as in the study of the relationship between two variables (correlation and linear regression);
d) use the knowledge acquired and the capacities developed to design and implement solutions to various problems applied, on conditions of uncertainty.
1. Probability (axioms and theorems),
2. Discrete and continuous random variables;
3. Theoretical probability distributions (discrete and continuous);
4. Sampling(mean, variance and sample proportion)
5. Point and interval estimation parameters,
6. Parametric hypothesis tests (mean, variance and population proportion);
7. Correlation and simple linear regression.
Continuous assessment(two written tests); Exam assessment (one written test).
- , .(2007). Estatística. Lisboa - Portugal: McGraw-Hill
- , .(2004). Introdução Computacional à Probabilidade e Estatística. Porto - Portugal: Porto Editora
- , .(2013). Probabilidades e Estatística. Conceitos Teórico-Práticos. Instituto Politécnico de Tomar, Portugal: Instituto Politécnico de Tomar
- , .(2001). Introductory Statistics. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Method of interaction
The teaching methodology of this curricular unit consists of theoretical classes with oral exposition, aided with notes and theoretical-practical classes, where several exercises that are in the exercise book are solved.
Software used in class
The Excel spreadsheet and the IBM SPSS statistical package are occasionally used to solve some exercises.