Teoria e Crítica da Imagem
Artes Plásticas - Pintura e Intermédia
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 45,0 TP + 7,0 OT
The students should be able to recognise the main issues of modern and contemporary art.
The students should
- become familiar with the contemporary art practices;
- be able to cross-check theoretical information on contemporary art;
- understand the peculiarities of contemporary art practices;
- be able to identify the contingencies of contemporary art.
1. Art Aesthetics and Criticism 2. Modernism, criticism and refoundation 3. Contemporary art and the various conceptual trends and contingencies 4. Contemporary art - a critical analysis of recent events.
Continuous assessment: students participation; 1 individual assignment including a critical review on a topic or author chosen by the lecturer (50%), 1 written test (50%)
Final assessment: a minimum mark of 10 exempts students from exam
- Appadurai, A. (1996). Modernity at large - cultural dimensions in globalization. Massachussets: University of Minnesota Press
- Burger, P. (1993). Teoria da Vanguarda. Lisboa: Vega
- Foster, H. e Buchloh, B. e Krauss, R. (2004). Art since 1900- Modernism, Antimodernism, Postmodernism. Londres: Thames & Hudson
- Crary, J. (2001). Suspensions of Perception: Attention, Spectacle and Modern Culture. Londres e Massachussets: M.I.T. Press
Method of interaction
Lectures and practical lessons including discussion and debate.
Study visits on the issues addressed and explored.
Software used in class