Cinema and Modernity
Documentary Film Studies
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
- Jorge Humberto dos Santos Seabra
A. The students should develop an insight of film history and be able to relate it with other film areas and cultural areas in general, understand the milestones of film history.
B. Develop the ability to analyse motion pictures and be able to relate works and film-making trends.
1. Time and contemporary
2. Movie and contemporary
3. Time of history, time of speech
II. Filmic duets about contemporary
1. Nazism between hell and pacification
2. Iwo Jima. One island, two shores
3. Anachronism of contemporary
4. The colonized between two times
5. Vietnam between heroism and the american regret
6. Shining and shadows of missing empire
a) 75% presences in classrooms
b) critical review about movie: 30% of the final overall mark
c) participation in classrooms: 20% of the final overall mark
d) evaluation test: 50% of the final overall mark
- Roberts, J. (2007). História do século XX. Lisboa: Presença
- Seabra, J. (2014). Cinema. Tempo, memória, análise. Coimbra: Imprensa da Universidade de Coimbra
- Catroga, F. (2001). Memória, história, historiografia. Coimbra: Quarteto
- Aumont, J. (2009). Dicionário teórico e crítico do cinema. Lisboa: Texto e Grafia
Method of interaction
a. Expository lectures.
b. Analysis of films in the classroom.
Software used in class