Camera and Lighting
Documentary Film Studies
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 T + 45,0 PL + 3,0 OT
- Marco Filipe de Almeida Santos Oliveira
a.Rediscover the screenplay from the perspective of Photography
b.Master camera and lighting techniques
c. Master work procedures
d.Understand the photographic image
e. Develop teamwork
f.Develop skills in capturing motion pictures
g. Foster research
1. The history of lighting in the cinema.
2. Lighting equipment.
3. The work of the Cinematographer.
4. The purpose of lighting. Processes.
5. Colour theory and control. Filters.
7. Photometry and Sensitometry.
9. Colour corrections and grading.
a) Attendance - 20%
b) 3 exercises:
Exercise 1 - 15% - interview lighting and recording
Exercise 2 - 15% - action lighting and recording
Exercise 3 - 15% - performance lighting and recording
c) Short end-of-term documentary - 35%
- Storaro, V. (2004). Writing With Light Trilogy. New York: Aperture
- Jackman, J. (2002). Lighting for Digital Video & Television. Oxford: Focal Press
- Burum, S. (2011). Selected Tables, Charts and Formulas for the Student Cinematographer from the American Cinematographer Manual. California: ASC Holding Corp
- Alton, J. (1996). Painting with light. California: University of California Press
Method of interaction
a.Traditional face-to-face lectures.
b.In-studio practical lessons.
c.Practical field classes.
Software used in class