Management of High-Speed Networks
Information and Communication Technologies
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 PL + 30,0 TP
Students should become familiar with the state-of-the-art data transmission technology, particularly MAN residential access technologies. They should also familiarise themselves with broadband network management, with particular emphasis on performance and availability aspects.
1. Residential networks;
2. Access technologies: xDSL; HFC; FTTx; PowerLine; FWA/Wimax;
3. SNMP: best practices;
4. QoS: Best practices;
5. Traffic Shaping / Modelling;
7. Advanced topics: VRRP, SLB, IPv6;
8. Designing and deploying high-speed data networks
- Theoretical assessment - 40%, with a minimum mark of 8/20.
- Practical assessment - 40%, with
a minimum mark of 10/20. Average of the lab assignments, each with a minimum mark of 8/20.
- Continuous assessment - 20%
Method of interaction
Lectures and tutorials supported by case study analysis.
Software used in class