Business Administration (pós-laboral)
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 60,0 TP
Elements of Management and Economics.
An introduction to the concepts of strategic management and strategic process. Transmission of the classical models and tools for strategic analysis and formulation. Strategy formation: deliberate (strategic planning) and emergent.
1st UNIT: STRATEGY
I ? STRATEGY: CONCEPT AND PROCESS
1. Presentation of valid definitions.
2. Strategic Decision, Choices and Process.
3. Strategic Intention.
4. Seminal Works in Strategic Management.
II ? STRATEGY ANALYSIS AND FORMULATION
1. SWOT Analysis ? K. Andrews
2. The ?Economical Strategy? - K. Andrews
3. Competitive Analysis; The Positioning School (5 Forces Model ? Porter).
4. Generic Strategies
5. Strategic Groups ? Porter
6. Value Chain ? Porter
7. Resource Based Strategy (the Resource-based view of the Firm).
8. Core Competences - Hamel & Prahalad.
9. Competing for the Future - Hamel & Prahalad.
III ? STRATEGY FORMATION
1. Formal Strategic Plan
1.1. Conventional Strategic Plan.
1.2. Planning as a Numbers Game (control tool).
1.3. Budgeting as Ad Hoc Control
2. Interaction between Formulation and Execution.
3. Crafting Strategy - Mintzberg.
4. The ?Honda Effect? - Pascale.
5. Variation ? Selection ? Retention.
2nd UNIT: THE ORGANIZATIONS (A brief Review)
I ? THEORY OF ORGANIZATIONS
1. Why study Organizations?
2. Organizations Theory.
3. Organizations as a study field.
4. Defining the concept organization.
4.1 Organization: three perspectives.
4.2 Organization: three analysis levels.
5. Why do Organizations Exist?
5.1 Explanations on the perspective ?rational system?.
5.2 Explanations on the perspective ?natural system? and ?open system?.
6. The ?Total? Organization.
II - THE STRUCTURE OF ORGANIZATIONS
1. Concept revision.
2. Six basic parts of the Organization - Mintzberg.
3. Basic Characteristics and coordination mechanisms.
4. Configurations of the Organization - Mintzberg.
5. Main variables in an Organization?s structure.
6. Basic characteristics of an Organization?s structure.
7. Structure vs. dimension/age.
8. Structure and Technology
9. Structure; trends.
3rd UNIT: STRATEGY AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXTS
I ? STRATEGY AND THE ENTREPRENEURIAL CONTEXT (START-UP)
1. The Entrepreneurial Organization.
2. Strategy in entrepreneurial context.
II ? STRATEGY AND MATURE CONTEXT
1. The Mechanistic Bureaucracy.
2. The strategic planning.
3. Conditions for strategic programming
III ? STRATEGY AND DIVERSIFIED CONTEXT
1. The Diversified Organization.
2. The Divisional Structure.
3. Role of the Headquarters.
4. Types of Diversification
4.1 Vertical Integration.
4.2 Horizontal Diversification.
4.3 Diversification and core competence.
IV - STRATEGY AND INNOVATIVE CONTEXT
1. The innovative organization; basic structure.
2. The innovative organization conditions.
3. Strategy formation in an innovative context; functions with strategic apex.
4. Core competences of project firms.
V ? STRATEGY AND INTERNATIONAL CONTEXT:
Internationalization and Management of Multinational Companies
1. Traditional Approach to Management and International Development.
2. Internationalization: a learning experience
3. International Structure Stages Model - Stopford & Wells.
4. Entry Mode Decision
5. Internationalization Strategic and Organizational Models
6. International Strategy and Industry Characteristics
7. Global and Local Scope of Decisions
Written Tests, Notes on Pratical cases, Team Work, Quality of partcipation on classes.
- Mintzberg, H. (2003). The Strategy Process. USA: Pearson Education
- Santos, J. (1992). A Gestão de Grupos Empresariais. Porto: ASA
- Shafritz, J. e Ott, J. e Jang, Y. (2005). Classics of Organization Theory. USA: Wadsworth
- Mintzberg, H. e Quinn, J. e Ghoshal, S. e Lampel, J. (2014). The Strategy Process; Concepts, Contexts, Cases. UK: Perason Education
Method of interaction
Lectures supported by class discussion and case study exercises
Software used in class