Comparative Social Policy
Public Administration, Publication in the Diário da República - Adequação/Bolonha 2007/2008
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP + 15,0 OT
On completion of the course students should be able to solve problems, draw up projects and implement social policies.
1.Identification of the main areas of state intervention in terms of social policy. The organisation of social policies in the public sphere.
2. Comparative study of the state intervention models from different countries.
3.From primary solidarity to mutualism.
4. The terciary sector and the globalisation processes
Every week, groups of students present their research works on previously taught subject matters in a class specifically intended for the purpose.
- QUELHAS, A. (2001). A refundamentação do papel do Estado nas políticas sociais.. Coimbra: Almedina
- SHARP, A. (1988). Economics of social issues. EUA: Plano
- VASQUES, S. (1999). Os impostos do pecado. O álcool, o tabaco, o jogo e o fisco. Coimbra: Almedina
Method of interaction
. Presentation of students' assignments
Software used in class