Human Resources Management and Organisational Behaviour
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 60,0 TP + 15,0 OT
- Maria Fernanda Pires Aparício
Students should be able to:
- recognize the specificities of different cultures;
- understand the differences in values in societies and their consequences at the management level;
- differentiate models of management functioning in different cultures;
- to discriminate organizational behaviors, such as leadership, typical of different cultures;
- planning expatriation and repatriation.
Chapter I: Introduction to International Human Resource Management (IWRM)
What is International Human Resources Management ?;
The complexity of IWRM;
Differences between IWRM and the domestic management of human resources;
Strategies for international expansion and linkage to IWRM;
International missions: global trends.
Chapter II: Different IWRM Practices - USA, EUROPE, ASIA
Human resources management policies and practices in different locations: USA, Europe and Asia;
IWRM in a European context: specificities and challenges;
IWRM in Portugal;
The internationalization of Portuguese companies: challenges and opportunities for IWRM.
Chapter III: The Cycle of Expatriation - Attract, Prepare, and Adapt
Typologies of international workers and international labor;
Reasons for using expatriates versus motives for accepting an international mission;
Recruitment, selection and preparation for an international mission;
Expatriate training and development;
The adaptation of expatriates.
Chapter IV: The Cycle of Expatriation - Evaluate and Reward
The consequences of (de) adaptation of expatriates: performance, satisfaction and turnover;
Compensation for expatriates: models, references and practical aspects.
Chapter V: The Cycle of Expatriation - Repatriate and Withhold
Repatriation - the other side of the coin?
Other results of the Expatriation: personal and professional implications of an international mission;
Challenges to the retention of individuals with international experience.
Chapter VI: Challenges to IWRM - New Ways of International Labor
Midterm assessment: 5 exercises on line via eº learning lessons 40% and a group work (groups of 2-3 students) and oral presentation by microsoft team 60%. S
Written exam on line by microsoft team or moodle(dates in the calendar
- Cunha, M. e Rego, A. (2009). Gestão Multicultural. Lisboa: Editora RH
- Finuras, P. (2011). Gestão Intercultural - Pessoas e Carreiras na Era da Globalização. Lisboa: Edições Sílabo
- Silva, V. e Reis, F. (2014). Capital Humano - Temas para uma boa gestão das organizações. Lisboa: Edições Sílabo
- Martins, J. (2011). Internacionalização e Globalização de Empresas. Lisboa: Edições Sílabo
Method of interaction
The module focuses on the presentation and defense of scientific and practical work by students, which will allow a better understanding of the theory and provide the tools to face real problems.
Software used in class