Cinema Documental I
Video e Cinema Documental
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
- Nuno Manuel Guerreiro Sena
A. To problematize the concept of documentary and its transformation throughout the history of cinema.
B. To know the decisive turning points in the history of the documentary cinema from its origins up to the rise of Direct Cinema.
C. Enable the analysis of the different documentary modes.
A set of lectures that will serve as a basis for understanding documentary film as a cinema genre, its history, its diversity of styles and approaches.
1 critical review (30% of the final overall mark).
1 test (70% of final overall mark).
- Barnow, E. (1974). Documentary - A History of the Non-Fiction Film. (Vol. 1). Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Nichols, B. (2001). Introduction to Documentary. Bloomington: Indiana University Press
- Barsam, R. (1992). Non-Fiction Film - A Critical History. Bloomington: Indiana University Press
- Rothman, W. (1997). Documentary Film Classics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
Method of interaction
a. Expository lectures.
b. Analysis of films in the classroom.
Software used in class