História e Estética do Cinema I
Video e Cinema Documental
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 60,0 TP + 3,0 OT
- Nuno Manuel Guerreiro Sena
A. The students should develop an insight of film history and be able to relate it with other film areas and cultural areas in general, understand the milestones of film history.
B. Develop the ability to analyse motion pictures and be able to relate works and film-making trends.
I.The invention of cinema.
II.The early days of cinema between the Lumière catalogue and the First World War
III. Avant-garde cinema
IV.The American classical cinema:origins, foundations, conventions. Study of a film genre: fim noir.
V. Italian Neo-Realism.
VI. The French New Wave.
1 critical review (30% of the final overall mark).
1 test (70% of final overall mark).
- Bordwell, D. e Staiger, J. e Thompson, K. (1985). Classical Hollywood cinema film style and mode of production to 1960. Londres: Routledge & Kegan Paul
- Bordwell, D. (1997). On the History of Film Style. (pp. 322). Londres: Harvard University Press
- Thompson, K. e Bordwell, D. (2003). Film History: An Introduction. Boston: McGraw Hill Higher Education
- Schatz, T. (2003). The Genius of the System: Hollywood Filmmaking in the Studio Era. Nova Iorque: Pantheon Books
Method of interaction
a. Expository lectures.
b. Analysis of films in the classroom.
Software used in class