Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9183/2020 - 25/09/2020
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre,
Provide the opportunity for students to acquire knowledge and skills to: understand the importance of electrochemistry in society; understand the fundamental principles of electrochemical systems and their technological application; control and prevent corrosion.
1. Importance of electrochemical processes in society.
2. Fundamental concepts of electrochemistry.
2.1. Electric and ionic conduction;
2.2. Electrolyte solutions, electrode reactions and potentials, and electrochemical cell types;
2.3. Interfaces, thermodynamics and kinetics of electrode processes.
3. Electrochemical characterization techniques.
3.1. Electrochemical techniques and sensors;
3.2. Hybrid techniques.
4. Conversion and storage of energy.
4.1. Batteries and other types of electrochemical cells;
4.2. Fuel cells and supercapacitors.
5. Technologically important electrochemical processes.
5.1. Electrosynthesis and new materials;
5.2. Electrometallurgy and surface finishing;
5.3. Removal and recovery of materials.
6.1. Importance of the phenomenon in society;
6.2. Fundamental concepts, thermodynamics and kinetics of corrosion reactions;
6.3. Prevention and control.
1. Thermodynamic study of electrochemical cells.
2. Electrolysis of water.
3. Removal and recovery of metals.
4. Degradation of organic pollutants.
A: Written test (60%).
B: Thematic work with oral presentation (15%).
C: Experimental work reports (25%).
Final rating = (0.6xA)+(0.15xB)+(0.25xC)
- Brett, A. e Brett, C. (1998). Electrochemistry: Principles, methods and applications.. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Bard, A. e Faulkner, L. (2001). Electrochemical Methods: Fundamentals and Applications. New York: Wiley
- Bockris, J. e Reddy, A. (1977). Modern Electrochemistry. (Vol. 1 and 2). New York: Plenum Press
- Atkins, P. e De Paula, J. e Keeler, J. (2017). Physical Chemistry. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Valente, A. e Lobo, V. (2000). Corrosão: fundamentos, prevenção e efluentes. Rio Tinto: ECEMEI
Theoretical lectures, where the fundamental principles are described. Theoretical-practical classes where the resolution of application exercises and the carrying out of laboratory work on the subjects taught is proposed.
Software used in class