Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9183/2020 - 25/09/2020
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP , Cód. 300102.
- Henrique Joaquim de Oliveira Pinho (1)(2)
(1) Docente Responsável
(2) Docente que lecciona
Be familiar with the concepts of integration and differentiation as well as numerical methods.
The students should acquire in-depth knowledge of transport phenomena and be able to apply the concepts of heat and mass transfer in the design of equipment used in chemical technology.
1. Fundamentals of heat transfer;
2. Temperature and heat flow distributions: energy balance within a control volume; general energy transfer differential equation; unidimensional heat conduction; multidimensional heat conduction - finite differences equations; convective heat transport; energy equation dimensional analysis;
3. Turbulent energy flow equations;
4. Fundamentals of mass transfer;
5. Concentration and mass flow distributions: mass balances within a control volume; continuity equation; non-dimensional forms of the continuity equation; diffusive mass transfer; convective mass transfer;
6. Continuity equations for turbulent flows;
7. Analogies and models to predict mass transfer coefficients;
8. Basic concept of dispersion;
9. Applications to unit operations design.
One or two written tests (70% of final grade; minimum mark 7 out of 20) and one group assignment (30% of final grade; minimum mark of 9 out of 20).
- Lightfoot, E. e Stewart, W. e Bird, R. (2002). Transport Phenomena. New York: John Wiley & Sons
- Mateus, D. (2009). Fundamentos de Transferência de Calor. Tomar: Instituto Politécnico de Tonar
- Pinho, H. (2019). Apontamentos de CFT - V. 2019. Tomar: Disponível através de www.e-learning.ipt.pt
Lectures and demonstrations supported by practical cases. Theoretical and practical sessions focused on problem solving, including a lab work (Mass transfer in gas-liquid system).
Software used in class
As the theme of work to be done within the discipline it may be convenient to use a spreadsheet, or mathematical applications like Matlab or Octave.