Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 3359/2013 - 01/03/2013
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP + 3,0 OT , Cód. 964437.
- Luis Filipe Cunha Moreira
Basics of graphic design.
The student should be able to:
manipulate typography according to appropriate requirements for each graphic product having in mind communicative clarity; understand and apply ergonomic rules for legibility and readibility; critically analyse graphic design according to communication principles.
Typography: historical evolution of type and categories;
Typographic rules for legibility and consistency
Colour Theory applied to graphic design.
Signage and pictograms.
Assessment of the projects developed by the students.
Written test covering all subject matters in the module.
- Rayan, A. (2006). Pictograms, Icons & Signs: A Guide to Information Graphics. Londres: Thames & Hudson Ltd
- Lupton, E. (2010). Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, and Students (Design Briefs). EUA: Princeton Architectural Press
- Ginger, E. e Spiekermann, E. (2003). Stop Stealing Sheep & find out how type works. Berkeley, EUA: Adobe press
- Andrew, H. e Baines, P. (2002). Type & Typography. Londres: Laurence King Publishing
Lectures supported by datashow;
Tutorials including analysis of communication texts according to communication ergonomics parameters.
Software used in class