6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 PL
The students are expected to know the different classes of materials, the concepts of micro and macro structure, relevant industrial and technological applications of materials.
Know the various processes of degradation.
1. Units and dimensions.
2. Observation and measurement. Their records.
3. Physical states of matter
4. General properties of solids, liquids and gases.
1. introduction to materials: classes of materials. Considerations on: production, application, competition and trends in the use of materials.
2. Chemical bonding, structure and properties of materials: chemical bonding in materials, crystalline structures and polymorphism, crystalline defects.
3. Classification of Materials applied in Engineering: metals, polymers, ceramics and composites.
4. Materials Degradation: corrosion, mechanical wear, materials fatigue.
By Continuous Assessment:
Physics Part: Participation in experimental measurements (70%) and a written frequency at the end of the semester on all the subject of the experimental component (30%).
Materials Part: Composed of 4 mini-frequencies, each one about a chapter of the syllabus (4 X 25% of the final classification).
The final classification of the continuous assessment is equal to the arithmetic mean of the classification obtained in both parts (physics and materials).
Students who achieve a final classification of the continuous assessment equal to or higher than 9.5 values will be exempted from examination.
Students admitted to examination will have to take a written test composed of the two parts (physics and materials) and will be approved if they obtain 10 values in the written test.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
- Smith, W. (1998). Princípios de Ciência e Engenharia dos Materiais. Lisboa: Mc. Graw-Hill
- Almeida, G. (2002). Sistema Internacional de Unidades. Lisboa: Plátano Editora
- Hewitt, P. (2015). Física Conceitual. Porto Alegre: Bookman
Lectures and theoretical-practical lessons. Field trips.
Software used in class