Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 6419/2017, de 24-07-2017
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 15,0 TP
Describe HRM practices and systems and compare different cultures.
Identify the different ways of analyzing the relationships between HRM and organizational performance.
Analyse the differences in HRM styles resulting from the different international strategic environments and challenges.
1. Human resource management in the context of the organization in different cultures and different surrounding factors.
2. Globalization of markets.
3. The internationalization of Portuguese companies.
4. HRM in internationalized companies.
5. Geographic mobility of staff.
6. Expatriate Management:
a. Ideal expatriate profile.
b. Initial training in the language and culture of the host country.
c. Expatriation contract.
d. Rules for the reintegration of expatriates upon return to the company.
e. Balance of personal and professional life.
f. Failure in expatriation.
7. HRM systems in an expatriate situation: remuneration, performance, training and career management.
8. Planning and preparation of returnees.
- Written assessment (50%) and group work (50%). This group work corresponds to the elaboration, presentation and defense of a scientific article.
- Written assessment (100%), in the exam periods established in the academic calendar.
- Brewster, C. (2011). International Human Resource Management . Wimbledon: CIPD
- Farndale, E. e Mayrhofer, W. e Brewster, C. (2016). A Handbook of Comparative Human Resource Management. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar
- Rees, G. e Smith, P. (2014). Strategic Human Resource Management. London: Sage
- Brookes, M. e Brewster, C. e Wood, G. (2014). Varieties of HRM: A Comparative Study of the Relationship between Context and Firm. London: Routledge
- Aswathappa, K. e Dash, S. (2020). International Human Resource Management. (Vol. 3rd Edition). NY, USA: McGraw-Hill Education
- Finuras, P. (2011). Gestão Intercultural - Pessoas e Carreiras na Era da Globalização. Lisboa: Edições Sílabo
- Dowling, P. e Festing, M. e Engle, A. (2017). International Human Resource Management. (Vol. 7th Edition). London: Cengage Learning
This module uses different teaching methods to provide the desired skills. Traditional lectures and interactive theoretical-practical sessions mainly focused on the presentation of written assignments.
Software used in class