Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 17071/2009 - 23/07/2009
3 ECTS; 1º Ano, Anual, 7,0 TP + 12,0 TC + 8,0 S , Cód. 6498119.
- Hermínia Maria Pimenta Ferreira Sol
Intermediate level of English (B1).
At the end of the module, students must be able to:
- recognize the verbal tenses that best fit specific communication contexts;
- possess a diverse and technical lexicon;
- produce oral and written statements of upper-intermediate level;
- understand oral and written statements of upper-intermediate level;
- distinguish formal register utterances from scientific register utterances;
-recognize different structures of academic texts.
- English as a language of science;
- Archaeology technical vocabulary;
- academic English;
- intermediate level gramatical structures;
- sentence structures of academic English;
- verb tenses;
- the Conditional;
- the passive voice;
- Countable and uncountable nouns;
- prepositions of place and time.
Class participation (20%) + Written activities in class (25%) + Written test (55%)
- Bailey, S. (2018). Academic writing: a handbook for international students. (Vol. --). (pp. -----). London: Routeldge
- McCarthy, M. e O'Dell, F. (2016). Academic vocabulary in use: vocabulary reference and practice: self-study and classroom use. (Vol. --). (pp. -----). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Powell, D. (2016). Grammar Practice for Upper Intermediate Students. (Vol. ---). (pp. ------). N.p.: Pearson Education Limited
Practical and theoretical classes.
On-site classes will favour the production of several assignments (oral and written), so as to better apprehend the specificities of the English language.
Software used in class