Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 14880/2013 de 15/11/2013
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
At the end of the unit the student will be able to understand the concepts of geographic space and its relationship with tourism and how it changes spatial dynamics. In addition, the student will also be able to create maps through the Geographic Information System for his professional and academic life.
1. Concept of geography
1.1 Human Geography
1.2 Physical Geography
2. Space and organization of the territory
3. Transformation of space due to tourism
3.1 Tourism, Leisure and Recreation
4. Tourism planning from the point of view of geography;
4.1 Territory management
4.2 Alteration of the social space and tourism
4.3 Natural / urban tourist space
5. Geography of tourism: Tourist atlas
6. Cartographic Applications in Geographic Information Systems
Theoretical-practical work - presentation + report (100%)
Exam (50%) + Practical Exam (50%)
- Matos, J. (2008). Fundamentos de Informação Geográfica.. Lisboa: Lidel
- Medlik, S. (2003). Dictionary of Travel, Tourism and Hospitality. Butterworth-Heinemann.. UK: Butterworth-Heinemann
- Daveau, S. (1995). Portugal Geográfico.. Lisboa: Edições João Sá da Costa.
- Hall, M. e Page, S. (2002). The Geography of Tourism and Recreation: Environment, Place and Space. (Vol. 1). (pp. 01-399). UK: Routledge
Discussion and Cases Studies.
Practical applications using GIS software.
Software used in class
SIG and Power Point