Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9182/2020 - 25/09/2020
4.5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 T + 3,0 O , Cód. 964461.
- Maria João Bom Mendes dos Santos
1. sensitize students to the role of Design and designers in our society;
2. develop critical and interventive skills in the design area, particularly in graphic communication.
1. Futurism, Dadaism and Surrealism:
1.1. Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, Marcel Duchamp and others;
2. Russian Suprematism and Constructivism:
2.1. kazimir malevich and El lissitzky;
3. De Stijl:
3.1. Piet Mondrian and others;
5. Jan Tschichold and the New Typography;
6. Eric Gill and the Gill Sans;
7. International Typographic Style:
7.1. Armin Hofmann, Carlo Vivarelli and others;
8. New Wave;
9. American Modernism;
10. Retro Design;
11. The pioneers of digital design
Assessment covers the theoretical work carried out in class (50% of the final mark) and a final test (50% of the final mark).
Exam or Resit:
Only students who have completed at least seven theoretical assignments as part of ongoing assessment will be elligible for exam.
As in ongoing assessment, the exam covers the theoretical work carried out in class (50% of the final mark) and a test (50% of the final mark).
- FIELL, C. (2005). Design do século XX. Londres: Taschen
- BLACKWELL, L. (1993). La tipografia del siglo XX. Madrid: Gustavo Gili
- FRASCAR, J. (2004). Communication Design, Principles, Methods and Practice. New York: Allworth Press
- HELLER & CHWAST, S. (1988). From Victorian to post-modern. London: Thames and Hudson
- JULIER, G. (1997). The thames & Hudson dictionary of 20th century design and designers.. London: Thames & Hudson
1. Lectures supported by audiovisual resources.
2. Resolution of theoretical works.
Software used in class