Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9398/2015 - 18/08/2015
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
Development of competences on basic principles of Chemistry, and the problem solving ability in Chemistry. Development of skills for the analysis and resolution of problems in mechanics (kinematics and dynamics) with few idealized bodies.
Part I - Physics
0. Trigonometry revision
0.1 Resolution of the right triangle. Sides opposite, adjacent and hypotenuse.
0.2 Application of the definitions of the sine, cosine, tangent and co-secant trigonometric ratios.
0.3 Determination of an angle from the knowledge of one of the trigonometric ratios.
1. Units and dimensions
1.1 Dimensional and proportional analysis.
1.2 Units and dimensions of kinematic quantities.
1.3 Units and dimensions of dynamic quantities.
2. Scalars and vectors. (This chapter is transversal to the entire program)
2.1 Scalar physical quantities.
2.2 Vector physical quantities.
3. Introduction to the mechanics of the material point.
3.1 Definitions of instant, time interval, instantaneous position, displacement, instantaneous and average velocities, instant and average accelerations, moment of inertia, linear momentum, momentum, force, torque, energy and power.
3.2 Newton's Laws.
Weight, normal reaction, stress, static and kinetic friction forces, elastic force, thrust force and pressure force.
5. Rigid Body Balance.
5.1 Free-body diagram.
5.2 Determination of the center of mass of single systems.
5.2 Scalar and vector equilibrium equations of a rigid body.
Part II - Chemistry
1. Tools. Atoms, molecules and ions. Chemical reactions. Stoichiometry.
2. Electronic Structure and Configuration. Chemical Bonding.
There will be no continuous assessment as there will be no classes.
Remaining assessment periods:
One written examination including all the materials taught throughout the semester.
- Chang, R. (2013). Quimica. : McGraw-Hill
- Finn, A. (2000). Física - um curso Universitário (vol. I - Mecânica). Brasil: Edgard Blutcher
- Fernandes, R. (0). Sebenta de Física Aplicada. Acedido em 9 de novembro de 2018 em https://politecnicotomar-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/rosab_ipt_pt/ERarznUKN9ZKr2rM60Euep0BcuSk9_YH4cIHekmTlgEslQ?e=XekZpg
Lectures focusing on theoretical content and theoretical-practical classes including problem-solving.
Software used in class