Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 10852/2016 - 05/09/2016
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 60,0 PL + 3,0 OT , Cód. 938030.
(1) Docente Responsável
(2) Docente que lecciona
The students will be provided with theoretical and practical knowledge in the fields of conservation and restoration of graphic documents on paper, fostering in the students a critical approach to treatment options, including the choice of conservation materials and techniques. The students should develop autonomous work in the fields of preservation, conservation and restoration of various types of graphic documents.
1.Introduction to graphic documents: characteristics and conceptual framework
2.Evolution of graphic and documentary records
- Identification and characterization of different support materials
- Distinction between different graphic techniques and media
3.Risks related to the preservation of graphic documents
- Physical Forces
- Light, ultraviolet and infrared
- Incorrect relative humidity
- Thieves and vandals
- Incorrect Temperature
- Identification and quantification of damage
5.Treatment and budget proposal
- Ethical issues
- Compliance with the forthcoming use of the object
6.Main conservation and restoration methodologies for graphic documents
- Surface cleaning
- Chemical cleaning and stabilization
- Stabilization of microbiological deterioration
- Conservation bleaching
- Physical stabilization
- Drying and flattening
7. Graphic documents preventive conservation
- Levels of protection
- Response strategies
8. Packaging for storage, display and transportation
The final evaluation is composed by:
a) Attendance, participation, performance (20%)
b) Final report (40%).
c) Final theoretical exam (40%)
Only students with positive evaluation (at least 9.5 points) on the continuous evaluation period ((a) e (b), will be admitted to exame - where a theoretical exam will be held.
For approval, the final grade must be at least 9.5/20
- Asunción, J. e , . O Papel: Técnicas e métodos tradicionais de fabrico. Lisboa: Editorial Estampa
- Gascoigne, B. (2004). How to Identify Prints. London: Thames & Hudson (ISBN-13: 978-0500284803)
- McMurtires, D. e , . (1997). O Livro. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Vinhas, M. (2018). La restauración del papel. Madrid: Tecnos
Lectures concerning the technical and scientific principles of the curricular unit.
Laboratory sessions including didactic exercises of condition assessment and different treatment options followed by application in real objects.
Software used in class
Microsoft OFFICE - WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT.