Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9183/2020 - 25/09/2020
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP
The students are expected to know the different classes of materials, the concepts of micro and macro structure, relevant industrial and technological applications of materials.
Know the methods for the selection of materials and the various processes of degradation: corrosion, fatigue, wear.
1. Introduction to Material Science and Engineering.
2. Chemical Bonding, Structure and Properties of Materials
3. Classification of Materials applied in Engineering.
4. Selection of Materials for Application in Engineering
5. Material Degradation.
Includes a monograph on a topic from the subject of CTM (40% of the final grade) and one test (60% of the final grade).
Assessment by Examination.
Minimum pass mark: 10 out of 20.
- Smith, W. (1998). Princípios de Ciência e Engenharia dos Materiais. Lisboa: Mc. Graw-Hill
- Callister, W. (2010). Materials Science and Engineering: an Introduction. New York: John Wiley & Sons
- Shackelford, J. (2009). Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall
- Hummel, R. (2005). Understanding Materials Science. New York: Springer-Verlag
Lectures and theoretical-practical lessons. Field trips.
Software used in class