Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 13495/2022 - 18/11/2022
10 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 PL + 30,0 TP + 30,0 OT
- Luís Miguel Lopes de Oliveira
- Renato Eduardo Silva Panda
Concepts of virtualization and cloud computing.
Understanding the fundamentals of virtualization.
Knowing the infrastructure to support a cloud platform.
Know how to develop scalable solutions using cloud solutions, according to the requirements of a specific problem.
1 - Basic information technology and client-server concepts
2 - Cloud computing and virtualization overview
3 - Building the foundations: learn foundational concepts such as virtualization, provisioning tools, load balancing, high availability, service discovery (in a practical way)
4 - Cloud paradigms: IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, Serverless and cia.
4.1 - Public, private and hybrid clouds
4.2 - Exploring public clouds (aws, gpc, azure)
5 - Containers and Orchestration
5.1 - Containerize apps
5.2 - Basic concepts (image, container, volume, network)
5.3 - Advanced concepts (orchestration, swarms)
6 - Elasticity concepts
The evaluation of the curricular unit will focus on practical labs and a final project. The evaluation elements must include reports on the work carried out, as well as a presentation / defense of the same work. The practical component has a weight of 60%, with the remaining 40% assessed in a written exam.
- J. Kavis, M. (2014). Architecting the Cloud: Design Decisions for Cloud Computing Service Models (SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS). (Vol. --). --: Wiley
Theoretical-practical classes, supported by audio-visual to introduce concepts, followed by practical examples.
Practical-laboratory classes to experiment with the introduced concepts on practical cases.
Software used in class
PostgreSQL, repmgr or similar
Azure/AWS/Google Cloud (depending on availability)