Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 7043/2016 - 27/05/2016
7.5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 PL + 30,0 TP + 15,0 OT + 10,0 O
1. The aim of this unit is to develop skills in the field of embedded systems (SE) and wireless sensor networks (WSN). To know the technological trends which have led to the Internet of Things (IoT) and its impact on society.
2. To know the fundamentals of SE, WSN and IoT technologies, platforms and architectures.
Define for each of these systems the architecture, communication models, interfaces, components and interactions with the physical world. Explore wireless technologies and study the most commonly used platforms and hardware components for IoT systems. Describe the interactions between software and hardware on IoT device. Describe the function of an operating system and its software support on IoT device. Brief introduction to network protocols for IoT like IPV6, 6LowPan, MQTT, CoAP, RPL and RESTFull protocols.
3. Develop practical and web service applications for IoT and WSN networks using the Contiki operating system. Explore IoT capabilities and applications by developing point-to-point IPV6 applications using state-of-the-art IoT devices and connections to IoT cloud platforms (ThingSpeak, NodeRed, SicsthSense).
1. Introduction to the Internet of things: history, concepts, definitions and perspectives
2. Scenarios, applications and IoT trends
3. Technology for wireless sensor networks (WSN): Zigbee, SigFox, Lorawan
4. Platforms for IoT and WSN networks
5. Embedded operating systems (SE) for IoT
6. Technology and Standards: o protocolo 6LowPAN, protocolo (RPL) e protocolos da camada de aplicação: COAP, MQTT
7. Web Services: : ThingSpeak, NodeRed and SicsthSense
8. Development of applications for WSN networks as Web services
Lab performance (40%);
Final project presentation and demo (20%);
Final project report (20%);
Bibliographic research and assessment tests (TP) (20%)
- The Internet of Things: A survey.(2010, 0 de outubro). Comput. Netw. 54, pp. 2787-2805.
- A survey on the ietf protocol suite for the internet of things: standards, challenges, and opportunities.(2013, 0 de dezembro). IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, pp. 91-98.
- TinyOS: Operating System Design for Wireless Sensor Networks.(2006, 0 de maio). Sensors,
- Overview of Sensor Networks.(2004, 0 de agosto). IEEE Computer Special Issue,
- Colina, A. e Vives, A. (0). Internet of Things in five Days. Acedido em 16 de outubro de 2018 em https://github.com/marcozennaro/IPv6-WSN-book
Lectures, Problem solving classes and Laboratory classes;
Software used in class
Linux Ubuntu distribution.