Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 7904/2013 - 18/06/2013
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 45,0 TP + 3,0 OT + 3,0 O , Cód. 308127.
- Mário Miguel Jesus Carvalho (1)(2)
(1) Docente Responsável
(2) Docente que lecciona
1. be able to distinguish the different types of diagrams;
2. interpret complex data, building a comprehensive infography
3. adapt infographics to the graphic rules of a publication;
4. use appropriate computer applications
1. Importance of the use of infographics in Editorial Design;
2. Areas of action of the infography (science; medicine; historical; teaching; publicity; journalism; etc).
Printed and online editorial design (magazines, newspapers and books);
3. Tools for execution of infographics: - digital;
4. Research and synthesizing information;
5. Physiognomy of an infographic: - Title, entry text, body, source and credit;
6. Features of an infographic: - Real information, hierarchies, color, symmetry, typography, illustration, photography;
7. Construction methodologies: - Grid, information orientation, content distribution, information blocks;
8. Adaptation of the graphics (color, typography, graphic criteria) to the characteristics of the publication to be inserted.
Continuous assessment: carried out through monitoring the work done during the semester (project 1 - 15%, project 2 - 15%, project 3 - 15%), assessment of the final project (40%) + attendance and participation in online and face-to-face classes (15%).
Exam-based assessment: - a three-hour practical exam (60%) and final project (40%).
- Brenda, L. (2003). Design Research: Methods and Perspectives. London/Massachusets: MIT Press
- Holmes, N. (2012). The Book of Everything: A Visual Guide to Travel and the World. UK: Lonely Planet
- Mijksenaar, P. (1997). Visual Function: An Introduction to Information Design. Roterdao: 010 Publishers
- Tufte, E. (1988). The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Chesire: Graphics Press
- Wildbur, P. (1989). Information graphics. Nova Iorque: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co.
1. Theoretical lessons supported by datashow resources;
2. Practical lessons including practical exercises
Software used in class
Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign; Colibri Zoom