Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 15239/2016 - 19/12/2016
11 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 150,0 OT , Cód. 814231.
- Paula Alexandra Geraldes Portugal
On completion of course students should:
- be able to prepare and interpret industrial process projects.
- adapt to the industrial environment in case of internship.
- be able to develop engineering projects and reports as part of lab research or traineeships.
1 Literature review. Information sources. Bibliographic citation - Standards
APA 7th edition.
2 Organization of the final report specifics of engineering project reports, research projects and traineeship reports.
3 The Chemical Technology Project. Project's origin. External and internal constraints on design and development. Constituent parts. Case Studies.
3.1 Market Analysis. Ability to install. Location.
3.2 Production process. Process description. Block diagram. Development of
process flowchart. Process simulation.
3.3 Matter and energy balances to different operations.
3.4 Equipment design. Building materials and equipment. Information search and selection. Sizing. Instrumentation. Auxillary services and energy efficiency.
3.5 Economic analysis. Investment and production cost assessment. Income estimation. Safety and loss prevention. Monitoring, execution control and environmental impact of the project. Economic viability.
Final written report and public presentation of the project. A minimum final classification of 10 is required for approval in any evalution period.
- Green, D. e Perry, R. (2019). Chemical Engineers Handbook. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co.
- Coulson, J. e Richardson, J. (1989). Tecnologia Química-Introdução ao Projecto em Engª Química. (Vol. 6). Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Towler, G. e Sinnott, R. (2013). Chemical Engineering Design Principles, Practice and Economics of Plant and Process Design. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann
- Duncan, T. e Reimer, J. (2019). Chemical Engineering Design and Analysis - An Introduction. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Riggs, J. e Himmelblan, D. (2014). Engenharia Química - Princípios e Cálculos. Rio de Janeiro: Nova Guanabara
Lectures and project/traineeship supervision.
Software used in class