Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 7571/2019 - 26/08/2019
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, Anual, 42,0 TP
- Maria de Lurdes Belgas da Costa Reis
- Anabela Mendes Moreira
Students should be able to
- identify the different types of building materials with regard to manufacturing process, main properties and applications
- identify the standards and documents concerning the application of materials as well as quality control procedures
- select and prescribe the materials, depending on their use, price and sustainability.
1. Introduction to building materials;
2. Natural stones;
3. Earth as building material;
4. Mineral binders;
7. Wood and wood based materials;
9. Steel and non-ferrous metals;
10. Polymeric materials (paints, varnishes, plastics and bituminous materials);
11. Composite materials.
12. New construction materials
13. The sustainability and live cicle of construction. materials
Assessment: a written test (60%) and a research paper (40%).
Closed-book theoretical-practical test with a minimum mark of 9.5, taken during the regular or examination periods.
Preparation of individual practical assignment on a topic to be defined. Assignment must be handed in before the date of the test taken by the student.
The final mark of the module will be the weighted average of both assessment components.
(2010). Manual da Alvenaria de Tijolo. (Vol. 1). Coimbra: APICER
(2010). A Sustentabilidade dos Materiais de Construção. (Vol. 1). Guimarães: TecMinho
(2005). Materiais Compósitos de Matriz Polimérica Reforçada com Fibras usados na Engenharia Civil. (Vol. 1). Lisboa: LNEC
(2002). Materiais Plásticos para a Construção Civil. . (Vol. 1). Lisboa: LNEC
Lectures and practical classes including practical cases to facilitate student learning, interactivity and critical reflection.
Software used in class